What is sensitive skin & how to treat it
This week I wanted to talk about the one skincare subject that pops up in my inbox on a daily basis…Sensitive skin.
It clearly effects a lot of people so I thought I’d share the varying types of skin sensitivity, how it can manifest itself and what you can do to treat it.
So, without further ado, let’s get stuck in…
What is sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin is a common skin condition. The term generally refers to skin that is more prone to inflammation but the cause and severity of the inflammation, may differ from person to person.
What causes sensitive skin?
In many cases, having sensitive skin is generally not a cause for serious concern, as it likely stems from a minor allergy or underlying skin condition.
People with generally sensitive skin can have local reactions to chemicals, dyes, and fragrances present in skincare products. They may also get rashes or irritation from clothing or friction that come into contact with their skin.
How to treat sensitive skin
Treating sensitive skin typically involves finding and eliminating triggers, as well as using gentle skincare products to treat the symptoms. If however, your sensitivity is severe and manifests itself as Rosacea, Eczema or Dermatitis, speak to your GP as prescription medication may be required.
What can I do at home to treat sensitive skin?
- Avoid using very hot water when washing you face as it strips your skin of its natural oils.
- Use fragrance free skincare like BASE to stop skin irritation.
- Harsh scrubs can be too abrasive for sensitive skin. Instead, use serum-based exfoliators like our Exfoliating Cell Renewal Serum, as they are more gentle and effective.
- Pat your skin dry rather than rubbing it as this will prevent irritation.
- To keep your skin strong and healthy, always protect it from the sun by applying BASE Protection SPF – 50.
- Test new products on a small area of your skin first before applying to the whole area.
Mild sensitivity should be easily managed at home using my above guidance, where you’ll really notice a difference. If you think you may have a more serious form of sensitivity though, please seek medical advice.
We’ve been so fortunate to have had many BASE success stories from customers with skin sensitivity, including those using the Proactive Age Kit. This is due to our concise ingredients lists and fragrance free formulas.
If you have any questions regarding skin sensitivity and need help with your skincare, you can reach out to me on our social channels or simply reply back to this email.
Amy is a qualified skin expert and founder of BASE. When she’s not writing about skincare, you’ll find her applying it, developing it or daydreaming about it instead!